Buckland St Mary is a small village nestling in the folds of the Blackdown Hills of Somerset, an area of outstanding natural beauty.
The Parish of Buckland St Mary is one of the largest in Somerset. Although the majority of the 450 inhabitants are spread over a large area, the nucleus of the village is centered around our large Victorian Church, and thriving Village School. The centre of the village also used to have a Post Office / General Store and Pub which are sadly now closed, however The Eagle Tavern which is situated just outside the village provides good pub food and a friendly atmosphere. There are several other good pubs and local restaurants in the area as well as places to stay.
The parish incorporates five small hamlets, Birchwood, Blackwater, Blindmoor, Dommett and Newtown.
This is a very rural area and the majority of farming is dairy, there being about 2000 head of cattle in total. We even have a farm in the middle of the village opposite the Church. In addition we also have two farms rearing pigs, and two farms producing eggs.
The Somerset County Town of Taunton is 9 miles away and the nearest towns of Chard and Ilminster are only 6 miles in the opposite direction. The towns of Taunton and Chard are easy to reach by car or bus.There are a number of places to visit locally, including the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton, Cricket St. Thomas Gardens, The Haynes Motor Museum at Sparkford, Forde Abbey and Gardens and Ferne Animal Sanctuary.Taunton, the County Town, has many leading retailers and places of entertainment, including the Brewhouse Theatre.
Towns and villages on the Dorset and Devon World Heritage Coast, are about 15 miles away, include Lyme Regis, with its famous Cobb, Beer, Charmouth, Seaton and Brnscombe.For the walkers there are many fine walks locally as well as the Quantocks, Exmoor and the Somerst Levels are within easy each.
- Sunday 8th May 11am – 12 noon we will be hosting BBC radio Somerset live from our school playground. We hope to showcase the whole village and share with them the great things that we do here at school and in our village. They have asked us to have the maypole available for the children to teach their DJ’s how to dance! We hope to have refreshments and entertainment available for the hour too. Everyone is welcome so please come on out and join us.
- Saturday 21st May 2016 School May Fair at Buckland St Mary School from 12 till 3. Please come and enjoy the fun!
- Sunday 29th May 2016 at 2.30pm – Craft Ladies’ Cream Tea at the home of Mr and Mrs Ducker at 2 Cross Hill Farm, Buckland St Mary to raise funds for Fiveways School, for children with special needs
- Celebrations to mark the Queen’s Official 90th Birthday Weekend as a part of the wider village celebrations for this weekend.
- their will be a Children’s Disco on Friday 10th June in the School at 6pm
- the Church Fete has been changed to Saturday 11th June 2016 at 2pm
- and Songs of Praise Service – on Sunday 12th of June at 7pm – this service will be held in the Buckland St Mary Church
- The next Community Coffee morning will be on Saturday the 9th July and will include the sale of the flower baskets by the Flower Ladies.
- Posters used at Parish Plan meeting available – follow this link
- Neighbourhood Watch Update
Copyright © 2015 Buckland St Mary.